Monday, January 01, 2007

The Rose Bowl

Just home from the Grandaddy...sadly, it wasn't the best game as USC throttled Michigan. The game day experience, however, was incredible. The passion of the fans was fantastic and the tailgating was top-shelf (my condolences to the University of Michigan business school students who had to arrive at 4 a.m. today to hold their plots).

As to the game itself, it was a defensive struggle throughout the first thirty minutes, but, as is usually the case with USC, they came out with an adjusted game plan from the half (throw the ball to all everything wideout Dwayne Jarrett) and marched to a convincing win.

The number one complaint I heard throughout the game in the Michigan student section was that the playcalling on both sides of the ball was boring and predictable. I have to agree. The Trojans keyed on shutting down Big Blue's star tailback, Mike Hart, and in doing so they were able to prevent the Wolverines from using play action to spring their receivers free. On defense, Booty had FAR too long to make his reads and he simply could wait for his guys to come open. Michigan also defended (and I use that term loosely) the slant worse than any college team I've seen for awhile (save one, and it pained me to link to that).

All in all, though, it was a hell of a time and it's an experience I'd love to have again one day. And I did get a cool t-shirt out of the whole deal as well, so I have that going for me.

No comments: