Thursday, December 07, 2006

Concert blogging: Damien Rice at the Paramount, Oakland, CA 12/6/07

This was my second concert at the Paramount in the last 3 weeks. Rice was a pretty funny showman, drinking wine before launching into "Cheers Darlin" and otherwise cracking jokes and being a wiseass.

Here's an incomplete setlist:
Accidental Babies (set opener, Rice on solo piano)
Volcano
9 Crimes
Rootless Tree
Me, My Yoke, and I (this one probably shocked a lot of people because Rice and the band were playing electric guitar and it was LOUD)
I Remember
Cheers Darlin
Cannonball
Older Chests
They worked "All Along the Watchtower" into the bridge of one of his songs
The cello player did a piano version of the Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"
Cold Water (set closer...all lights out, only 3 candles on the stage...went on for like 10-15 minutes...then the spotlight came up on Damien and he played "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley on acoustic guitar, mic off...solid)

Follow up: Lisa Hannigan took lead on a song last night and tore it up...I had no idea what the song was, but after some searching around online, I was able to turn up a version of the song, "Be My Husband" (a Nina Simone original), that Lisa performed on NPR. Check it out.

No comments: