Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bah!

Seeing as summer is almost here, most major network tv shows are winding down for the season. As such, this week and next provide the final new episodes of both 24 and Grey's Anatomy (the later of which I have been drawn into very reluctantly).

Having admitted to watching Grey's I can now probably hand in my manhood card, but in doing so I must comment on the sheer absurdity of the final three hours of the season:


  • Simply put, the show will be better off with Izzy gone, if her resignation holds. Her hysterics on Sunday made the show borderline unwatchable.
  • Meredith Grey is quite possibly the most f$@ked up female lead character in a drama series in television history. Good God. She's ruined one marriage (it takes two to tango, Derek did his part as well), pretty much crushed George, and is going to crush Finn. I understand the need to create dramatic tension, and I also recognize that shows like Grey's are supposed to be escapist schlock, but come on.
  • The show excels at making the audience dislike characters they should otherwise have sympathy for. Case in point: Addison. Like seemingly everyone else on the show, she has fidelity issues, but in the current state of affairs, she's the only one trying to do the right thing in her relationship; but, of course, she's portrayed as shrill for trying to preserve her marriage.
  • Using the dog as a stand in for the Meredith/McDreamy relationship? It's no wonder I've made it a point to stay away from so called "chick flicks" and the like when this kind of contrived symbolism is employed to tug at the heart strings.


I will say the twist of Preston getting shot was unexpected, but otherwise on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give the finale a 3.

To regain my credibility as a member of the male species, I must now turn my attention to Jack Bauer. On the whole, this season, to me at least, hasn't been as enjoyable as last, partially due to the fact that we don't know who the bald guy with the glasses is and how he's making Logan cooperate. In any event, the last two hours have a lot of promise...I eagerly await Chole getting the chance to get medieval on the obsequious Miles, Curtis avenging his shooting by pwning some faceless former Communists, and, of course, Jack hopefully blowing away Logan.

No comments: